UW Transportation Services is working with Grounds to ensure we keep your sidewalks, bus shelters, parking lots, and roads as clear as possible during the winter months. In order to help make our efforts successful, we are asking for you to assist us by adhering to the following from November 15 until March 15:
Winter Parking Rules
- These rules apply from 2AM until 6AM every day from November 15 through March 15.
- No parking on Observatory Drive or Linden Drive. This includes lot 26 and 40.
- There is restricted parking in lots 16, 34, 40, 51 and 54. Please park in designated rows (marked by the "Shovelin' Bucky" signs).
- Top levels of ramps may be blocked off to better facilitate snow removal.
- Click here for a map of areas affected by winter parking rules.
Snow Action Day Rules and Safe Practices
- Snow Action Days will be called by the university in the event of major winter weather.
- Review and adhere to all Winter Parking Rules listed above.
- No parking is allowed on the top level of university ramps. Vehicles must be moved prior to 7AM to avoid citation and relocation.
- Leave your cars, mopeds, and bicycles at home. Fewer vehicles on the roads mean less congested, safer travel for all.
- Dress for the weather. Wear warm clothes and shoes with excellent traction.
- Adhere to Winter Parking Rules. Help keep the roads and parking lots clear.
- For a print friendly PDF of these Safe Practices click here.
- For tips on smart winter commuting, visit our winter weather commuting page here.
Detailed Maps of Restricted Lots
PDF files showing where to park in each lot affected by Winter Parking Rules are available below, and can be printed for easy sharing with second and third shift employees, students living in residence halls, or others likely to use these lots between the hours of 2AM and 6AM.